Featured post

Beneath the Microscope

I don't know if you've read my blog on what it takes to be ready for a job interview, if you haven't well you're in luck bec...

Tuesday 2 August 2016

HOW YOU INTERVIEW YOUR PASTOR

Dan Dan Dan. This is a sensitive topic because a lot of things could go wrong but I'm just stating things from my own POV so don't point your fingers my way if things don't work out well. I'm very fortunate to be a part of the Ministry I am, City of Life Miracle Centre. Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to evangelize but if I achieve that then I'd be more than excited. I've been a member of that Ministry for as long as I can remember, it's been over 8 years and I've made a family there. I found some of the best friends anyone could have and one of them is praisejohn.blogspot.com. My bestest bestest twin is Inem and she just so happens to be my Pastor's daughter. Now what do I do when I'm told to interview my Pastor who just so happens to be my best friend's dad. I pray.

PRAY Please do pray. You have no idea what or how to approach it or if you're even the right person for the job so pray. Pray that God helps you. You don't have to pray like your life depends on it but just ask quietly that God guides you. That's how I pray, quietly. I don't know about you.

GET THINKING What's the purpose of the interview? Who at the audience? How urgent is the interview? Should it be open-ended or close-ended? Should it be in-depth? In most cases, you should use an open-ended approach because Pastors are teachers and they like to talk. So allow them. You can always break it down later. Mine is an Apostle and a writer as well so I'm willing to sit and listen, it makes my work easier.

ASK QUESTIONS Before you go for the interview make sure you know what you're going in for. You don't want to embarrass yourself. Get the closest person to him like his secretary or even your best friend 😋 who might be his daughter too to give you some clues. In my case, we're having our annual convention this month so I will focus on that until I'm given a briefing later on.

WRITE QUESTIONS You have to know what you would ask so you don't embarrass yourself. So ensure that you write down questions related to the topic you have in mind. Get focused and don't branch out too much or else your outcome would be too distorted. Rely on the knowledge you've gotten on the purpose of the interview and coin out questions based on that. I'll post a sample of the written interview when I'm done so you can see an example.

DRESS APPROPRIATELY You don't want to feel like a lady in the night, do you? Or even a rascal or delinquent, if you're male. So dress like you would dress to see a president, your Pastor is a man to reckon with so respect him like you would the former. Dress in a way that is not too distracting, not so casual and not too formal. Dress comfortably. I choose to wear a nice chiffon top and a high waist pant. That's my comfort zone. Jeans are my thing but remember, not too casual.

PRAY AGAIN Your nerves can get in the way of your reasoning so pray for God's guidance along the way.

GET YOUR TOOLS Ensure you have your pen and paper, and your recorder. You would want to get your information correctly so you don't lose any relevant detail.

WAIT Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing right now. I have my questions, outfit and heart ready for the interview session so right now all I have to do is wait for tomorrow. I have an appointment fixed so what else can I do. I'm not so nervous because in this case all I have to do is ask the right questions and listen well. I'm a great listener and awful talker (Is that a word?).

I've done my part and stated all I have to do. I wonder what I've missed out. I'm not a scholar and I didn't read a book for this so please do state if I've missed any detail. I appreciate your taking time out to read this. I love you. XOXO. Plain

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thought